Thursday, April 9, 2009

Being Neighborly in Your Neighborhood

A treat from my neighbor

I am a little bias when I say, I have the best neighbors in the world! In my little town of Kiowa, Kansas, among all the people God could have had us live near, he placed us in front of some of the best.

Today, while reading my Bible, I receive a knock on the door. It's Joy, our preacher's daughter with an orange smoothie. With a big smile on her face, she says "Mom and I thought you would like this." I take a big old drink in front of her and told her I sure needed this today. It was the tastiest smoothie I ever had.

What does it mean to be "Neighborly?" To some, it means not interfering in the lives of those who they live next to; to not get involved with them in any way. To others, it means being there when the times get tough, and being an encouragement. To me, it's the last example. It means showing God's love for one another by being a blessing, even when you think it will not be a big deal, to the one you are being neighborly to, it may mean a breakthrough!

If we are to be good neighbors in our neighborhood, we must be neighborly. We must be good citizens, and spiritually straight.

Jesus taught a parable of a man traveling down into the valley and beaten severely by thieves. Many people passed his beaten body that were of his own heritage, but they passed him by nevertheless. Then, a Samaritan man came upon him, took him to the inn, dressed his wounds, and cared for his afflictions. The man beaten was a Jew, not Samaritan, yet, the Samaritan man showed compassion. He said to the inn keeper, whatever this man requires, do it to him, and when I pass this way again, I will give it to you. Which of these men were his true neighbor?

Today, I have received a great revelation: Although I am neighborly to my preacher and his family, I need to be more neighborly to those around me who are not a part of our Christian community. Christians have a duty to show love not only within the church but also within the neighborhood.
So...
I am going to be fervently praying about what God wants me to do to be more neighborly to those around me. Perhaps it is just introducing myself and getting to know them; maybe it is just sending them a note through the mail. Whatever it may be, I know God will be in it.

By the way, neighbor does not always imply those who live next to you...It could be someone who you know that needs to see God's love. I encourage you today to be a neighbor to someone.

Love thy neighbor Pictures, Images and Photos

Leviticus 19:18: "Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I am the LORD."




No comments:


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Feed the fish